Monday 14 January 2013

The wonderful world of weddings!


Saturday was Nedim and Anita’s special day, and Emir and I felt very honored to be a part of it and that they wished to share it with us. We were both really looking forward to the wedding and being in a room so filled with love and well wishes to the newly married couple – especially ME! The night before, I could not sleep til after midnight last night, and was up in the morning at 6:15am with my mind full of exciting thoughts. Being pregnant, I had to fight to keep up the excitement… Nevertheless, it was all but a distant memory the moment I stepped into the venue (the love zone).
I remember being asked in an interview “Why get married? Why have a wedding?” At the time, I was pleased with the question posed at me, however to my surprise, I did not feel a defensive answer boil to the brim. I simply answered that it was a wonderful excuse to bring all of the people we loved together in one place and provide Emir and I with the opportunity to celebrate our love both formally, and with a blast of fun. Being a traditional girl, it was to my wonder that I did not explain that it was the ‘right thing to do’ or that it was the way in which I chose to honor our traditions. Reminiscing on my answer and realizing how blissfully unaware I was of the loaded question, I stand proud and stick by my response. However, upon further thought and utilizing mBit to connect to my thoughts and feelings… my answer today would be so much more!
So, why marriage? Why a wedding? Is it overrated? Is it just a piece of expensive paper? What does it all mean?

My answer would now be – It means nothing…………… and everything!

At the end of the day, who is to judge you on how you choose to celebrate your love, in fact, how you choose to live your life at all? I know many people who choose not to get married and are amazing loving happy couples, and I know people who felt pressured into getting married, for it to only end in divorce. For me, marriage is wonderful and not simply a piece of paper that entitles me to my husbands last name. I stand by our vows and I believe in the constitution of marriage and all the it encompasses… but that is just me.

People asked me if things changed after I got married, and I found that question to be a rabbit hole filled with speed bumps, road blocks and all that creates problems in a marriage. Simply, things did not change. Unless you allow things to change, and go into the marriage with the expectation of things changing… why should they? I still want to make my husband feel as wanted and desired as I did when we first started going out. I still want my husband to desire me just as much also. I keep myself up not only for my own well being, but just as if I was single and wanting to impress and gain the attention of a potential suitor, I do so also for my husband (if not more). It often baffles me when I see people let themselves go in a relationship, as they forget how amazing it was at the beginning – yet, if they were to become single again, they would go ahead and put a huge amount of effort into attracting another… realistically, a totally stranger! So, it’s ok to do it when single for a someone you don’t even know, but can be too much effort to do the same to attract your partner, the person you love and cherish?

Samantha K
xx

4 comments: