Thursday 26 April 2012

Rationalization... friend or foe?

Rationalization: An attempt to explain or justify (one's own or another's behavior or attitude) with logical, plausible reasons, even if these are not true or appropriate.


We are all familiar with the term of 'rationalization', we are mostly familiar with it's true meaning... but many of us are almost lost when it comes to using rationalization properly. It goes without saying that rationalization has saved us in many circumstances, even when it becomes an argument within ourselves! It also goes without saying, that being on the other end can be one of the most frustrating things to endure. So, how can we meet in the middle?


It is said that rationalization encourages irrational or unacceptable behavior, and can be an insight to one's motives as this generates from both the conscious and sub-conscious mind. The conscious mind uses this as a defense mechanism to protect itself from mockery and embarrassment. The sub-conscious mind uses this as a shield from evoking any limiting beliefs or guilt in ones self. It can also just be as simple as a result of us not knowing ourselves as well as we think.


I see people attempt to rationalize their actions and even their own personal thoughts, to such an extent that they can cause a feud... from simply over-analyzing themselves. So, what is the real difference between an explanation, an excuse... and a rationalization? Just ask yourself, which one feels better? There may actually be no difference between them. It is more the intention behind it, and the answer lies in how you truly feel afterwards.


When we make a mistake, it is so tempting to take the easy street and blame someone else. This leads to people not properly dealing with a proper solution to their wrong behaviors, which then causes more problems. But, sometimes... without realizing it, we make excuses for our faults, and claim what is not real. A common rationalization I hear is from students, claiming they didn't do well in a test as a result of the teacher not liking them. When in fact, they had not properly prepared or studied for the test. The danger of rationalization, is the sub-conscious mind makes it OK to fail the test for this reason, and the study and hard work necessary gets left behind.


How often do you rationalize yours or another's behavior to maintain social cohesion? How often does it produce a good long-term result?


Samantha K

1 comment:

  1. Hi Samantha.

    I am always battling with myself over whether or not to comment honestly to people when they make dumb-ass comments, or just let it slide. I have to assess the person first and rationalize whether or not they will benefit from being told by taking action, or just shrug and think that I am an idiot for sharing my views.

    This occurs both in real life and in my many interactions with people on Facebook.

    In order for me to stay honest and true to myself and my values, I find that, more often than not, I tactfully tell them why my comments are being made and it is up to them to decide whether to accept them or reject them.

    Whatever choice they make, affects them and not me, so once I have made the comment, I move on towards achieving my goals. If they happen to make the same comments again in my vicinity, I ignore it and think to myself, "Self. Don't waste your time any further. You've tried and it's not your fault that they are as thick as a brick and didn't listen."

    Life goes on ...

    ReplyDelete