Thursday 16 February 2012

Office Romances

I recently read an article about romantic relationships with colleagues and its success rate. Office romances are few, short lived and not usually destructive.
Studies show that in the past five years, only 12% of singles dated someone in their office.
It made me think to the offices I have worked in and what sort of presence office romances, and in turn, office politics had in them. In all 3 offices (accounting practices) there had been numerous relationships between staff, from forming legitimate relationships to casual sex. In a few cases, I have heard that the people invloved would not normally have considered that type of a relationship with the other person if met outside the office environment.

What drives us to find the people who we work with, the people who we spend a great deal of time with on a daily bases, unusually attractive and enticing? Is it for the simple fact that we know it is wrong or not allowed? Is it so as we have the luxury of spending more time with them and getting to know them in a shorter time frame?


Most workplace romances last less than 3 months and only 6% of women date their boss.
Studies have shown that after breaking up, 56% reported this did not affect their professional relationship. Thirty-sex percent of singles would consider dating someone in their workplace.
So it raises the question, why do we enter into workplace relationships with high hopes, having a subconcious reality that it is likely to be short lived, and we will have to continue working with them?

How is it that a relationship ending outside the office can end and become awkward or touchy, when a workplace relationship can go on naturally seeing each other everyday? Maybe it is because we simply don't have as much of a choice to make it awkward and uncomfortable and the professional persona kicks in. If this is possible, why can't we apply some of that theory to our everyday lives and their break-ups?


It is common for offices to frown upon workplace romances. For reasons such as the romance being a distractions from work, bias working arrangements and work reviews, bringing disagreements from home into the office and avoiding messy breakups. Is this more of an incentive, than a rule to abide by?

Samantha K

6 comments:

  1. I have seen so many 'office romances' end in disaster, so I would recommend that people follow their head and NOT their heart in these circumstances.

    Most fail due to rumour, innuendo, and jealousy from fellow employees. This leads to a huge strain on the relationship and, eventually, eventual demise. No-one wins in these situations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John!
      Yes, this is what I have seen also. But it has been interesting to watch the rare office romance work out. My old boss married his PA and they have been happily married for 14 years with 3 beautiful children.
      It seems as though regardless whether it is the right or wrong thing to do, lust and desire usually win and they give in to the temptation.
      There may be some really happy workers when the relationship blossoms, but some really unhappy workers which can affect the overall moral if the relationship goes sour.
      Thanks for your comment John!
      Samantha =)

      Delete
  2. Oh yet another thing I can relate too. Recently we have been conducting interviews at my work where we interviewed a pool of people - people that worked within the company were able to apply for a higher position. I found out by "accident" that one of the PA's is sleeping with the executive's. She OF COURSE got the job and is working side by side with him. He is newly divorced and she is .... ? I don't know? Well this is going to end in disaster one way or another - because if people find out that she got promoted and they are together, the whole office will erupt. If they break up and they still have to work with one another I doubt that will work either. I think if you do fall in "love" with someone from the office , I think finding another job would only work. I think it makes people uncomfortable in the work place also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - SEE! I have seen that too, and it always ends badly. I have seen a PA completely run the office and cause conflict throughout the whole place because she had something on one of the partners! She also gets extra special treatment and is allowed to do pretty much anything and act disgracefully with no consequence!
      I agree that it does not just affect the people involved in the relationship, but everyone around them.
      It happens sooo often, I don't think I could do it... But I have never been in the position to do so, so I guess I wouldn't really know how it feels.
      Thanks Sophie! <3 xo

      Delete
  3. Hmmm, I dunno Sam. Up until recently I have always had a 'Don't Play where you work' motto. And coming from an organisation that has numerous office relationships incl. marriages and ppl dating several ppl within the same office, I was jaded and thought I would never embard on an office romance.
    However, I can say that out of the blue I met and fell in love with a co-worker and we have been happily together for nearly 8 months. We work in the same area, but never together.
    My view has changed and I believe it can work, you just have to be professional and never bring outside issues into the workplace. Our managers are aware of our relationship, and this has not caused any issues within the office.
    In advancing my career it has meant moving to a differnt role so we won't even be working together, but that was my plan before we got together.
    We keep our relationship outside the office, and never let it interfere. I think if ppl are professional it doesn't need to impact work.
    Just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you for your opinion.
      You just read my opinion and some statistical results from National surveys.
      I believe there will be occasions where they do work (as I explained in the reply to Sophie's comment) and I believe there will be occasions where they don't work (which I have most definitely seen).
      My article was aimed more at why a lot of people enter into these relationships and what attracts them to it.
      Good luck and all the best in your relationship. I hope it works out for you.
      Samantha K

      Delete